Tuesday, February 8, 2011

8/28 (Love)

I hope I showed Love in many ways today, but perhaps the most time-consuming, if unemotional, demonstration was laundry. It is one of my favorite household chores, but a chore no less. With four children and two adults, the laundry is never ending 'round here. Still, I like the transformation process: disorganized, soiled, wrinkled, stained becomes sorted, cleaned, folded... well, sometimes the stains don't come out. I love folding my children's clothes: matching soft pajamas, tucking one sock inside it's mate, shaking out those-didn't-I-just-buy-these-but-there's-a-hole-in-the-knee-already jeans... I feel so benevolent and close to the little bodies that will wear these items in the next few days. I don't know for sure why I like it, but I do. Maybe I'm more of a tactile type person than I realized. [What is a tactile type person?!?]

2 comments:

  1. Do you know how refreshing it is to hear someone- especially a mother of (almost) 5 say that she loves laundry?
    Actually, come to think of it, the only other person I've ever heard say this is also a mother of 5 children. I see a trend here.
    But it gives encouragement to those of us who dislike it so.
    I shall attempt to see what you like in it today as I tackle the unfolded pile of clean clothes that need to be put away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, Marlo, I'm not that good at getting the laundry put away once it's clean & folded... the older 3 children are supposed to take care of their own baskets, and that helps, but...

    ReplyDelete