Thursday, June 23, 2011

Stray Dog Powers








See these children? They thought they wanted to go to The Zoo today. Or an indoor playground, on account of the rain. They are a Zoo unto themselves, and the overcast day has not driven them indoors. All they need is Grammy's flower-filled backyard and each other.





Of course, they may have actually spent more time naming and describing their imaginary selves than actually play acting.



"My name's Elizabeth and I have the power to make someone invisible."


"My name's Fighter, cause I fight."


"My name's Lightening, because I have a lightning streak on me -- I was just born that way. I am a mix of a Golden Retriever, Great Dane and a Dalmatian. I'm all white with a lightning streak on me."


"I am a Poodle, with black on me."


"I'm a mix of a Chihuahua and a Bull Dog." (Care to guess which one that is?)





And then --


"A Human!"


"The Dog Catcher! Into the force field house!"






They really don't have to fear; the clamor they create would keep any Animal Control Personnel away. You can't bring that inside and cage it, that amount of noise is sure to cause physical damage.





They didn't know I was listening in to their imagination collaboration until I told them they couldn't play "Mating Dogs Having Puppies." I'm a Meanie Mom, I know.





Here are a few of them, wondering why Grammy (the Dog Catcher? Or a more friendly human?) won't unlock the gate to her back yard.







Are you kidding? We can't unleash that sort of force out into the neighborhood.










I asked them what they called their game. "Stray Dog Powers." I call it better than cartoons, folks. Better than cartoons.


2 comments: